Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Dawn Dish Soap Commercial--a response

I was work multi-tasking, with the tv on in the background, and this commercial came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkOgE4K7j4

and it evoked in me some very strong feelings.

1. It's a smart use of fuzzy animals. Watching videos of cute and cuddly creatures is oh so popular. Many blogs prove.

2. Saving animals from oil spills is a very particular aleviation of human guilt--if anything is a sounding signal of our materialistic human greed, it's oil. Dawn helps you save animals and alliviate your guilt.

3. All this is somehow revolting.

I was initially revolted by the use of ducklings to sell dish soap...

but I have to respect the smart marketing. I'm going to check up on whatever marketing numbers I can find for that commercial.

Thoughts? Feelings? Responses?

2 comments:

Kate said...

I actually just used dawn soap to get ride of fleas on my dog (so much safer then pesticides and one of the only dish soaps they say is safe to use on animals - it doesn't dry out the skin so much). So I'd say go Dawn, I'm glad it has multi purposes!

Seth Weisfeld said...

My feeling is that while yes it exploits my emotions they are
a.) Actually going to donate money to help save the animals (up to $500K)
b.) It's better than an F-150 commercial, headon, or something else annoying that i don't care about